Tuesday 6 December 2011

My knitting & Crocheting story

Knitting is something I learnt through my grandma when I was 8. Every Winter, she would take out her knitting kit and start on a project. Curious as always, I asked her: "Grandma, what's this? Can you teach me?" And she did. She taught me the basics of knitting, and I started off with a simple scarf. Trust me, I wasn't a natural at this! Guess how my first scarf turned out to be? It looked like panties! (No kidding). I was so disappointed but I didn't give up. I tried again and it turned out to be - what I call "okay" (back then, of course!). Anyway, from that day on, I knitted now and then but I never did a "proper" project because I was too lazy and I never had a reason to :P Until last Summer.. I found out my sister-in-law was pregnant and I decided to knit something for my niece. I actually never thought of knitting something (like I said, I wasn't a natural at it!) until I saw my friend starting on crochet projects for her daughter. So without knowing what to make, I went to spotlight and bought some yarn! :))

This was the first time I went spotlight to buy proper pretty yarn!
And it wasn't the last either.. :))

Silly me.. I bought soo much but I really didn't know what to do with it. I just couldn't resist! The colours were so pretty! (I still have a big full box of yarn in my room right now) ^.^ Anyway, a few days later; I figured out what I wanted to make. It was a baby blanket! I knew it would take a lot of time and effort, but it didn't bother me. Until I realized I used blue yarn and I was going to have a niece, not a nephew! So I kinda gave up on it. I was getting pretty lazy but then my friend asked me if I wanted baby bootie patterns (she did a pair and posted it on fb. It was the cutest thing ever!).

The first baby bootie I made! I was soo proud of myself ^.^
(You can find this pattern on www.ravelry.com and many other patterns too!)

Anyway, after finishing that pair of baby booties, that same friend of mine told me crochet was much easier. So I started learning crochet from the very beginning. I used some spare yarn to learn how to do: DC, HDC, SC, etc.. (just the basics). After getting used to it, I wanted to make a project. And this is what I made:

#2. "Bombay love"
(I can't find a picture of the first one I did. It was too long ago :P)

Again, I was very proud of myself! I never thought I could do something like this in my life. But I did. I guess they are right when they say: "Nothing is impossible." So if you are trying to learn anything and it gets a little frustrating; don't give up! You'll get to it! =))

No comments:

Post a Comment